In this episode, Betsy and Dan discuss 3 Surefire Decorating Fails (and, of course, how to avoid them!). In every decorating project there are certain things that can trip us up, wreak havoc with our plans, or just complicate everything we’re trying to accomplish. These are common pitfalls. But the good news is that they’re remarkably easy to avoid!
Check out all the projects we discussed on this episode!
- Mistake 1: Choose Your Paint First! (0:50)
- Mistake 2: Go All “Matchy-Matchy” With Your Colors (6:06)
- Mistake 3: Keep Something That Doesn’t Fit With Your Style! (13:40)
- Fix 1: Paint It! (16:03)
- Fix 2: Strip It! (19:54)
- Tip: Use a Heat Gun (23:33)
- Tip: Strip Painted Hardware in a Crock Pot! (23:58)
- Fix 3: Repurpose It! (27:16)
Choose Your Paint Last!
We were pretty clear about the importance of choosing your paint last. Still, we have a number of resources on our blog that speak to this point. And here they are for your reading pleasure!
The Crockpot Solution!
At one point, Betsy referenced a Crockpot solution for removing paint from painted hardware. And, of course, there was a bit of a discussion as to the right methods to use: is it plain water brought to a boil? Or do you add vinegar. Dan thought vinegar made sense. Betsy thought just water. Turns out, Betsy was more right (which, by contract, Dan is forced to admit).
Anyway, the process is simple:
- Get an OLD Crockpot that you intend NEVER to use again for food!!!
- Put water and a little liquid laundry detergent in along with the hardware and set the Crockpot to medium.
- Let it “cook” overnight.
- In the morning, you should be able to peel the layers of paint off with your fingers.